cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grandad told his sim is being phased out? What do I do?

cstuart
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello- my 85 yr old Grandad had a text message from o2 to say his sim is being ‘phased out’ and he needs a new one. 

He’s not tech savvy and I’m too far away to help physically. How do we go about getting a new o2 sim if he can’t get to a shop? Can it be done online or over the phone? 

Any advice welcome. Thank you 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38800 Posts
  • 243 Topics
  • 1743 Solutions

Just check it is not a scam, @cstuart - usually O2 don't tell you, they just cut... And a new SIM will need him to go into an O2 shop with a valid passport or driving licence, @cstuart.

Message 2 of 9

pgn
  • 38800 Posts
  • 243 Topics
  • 1743 Solutions

You can call O2 for a new SIM, 4445 for PAYG. O2 will disable the old SIM as soon as the replacement is requested, and the new one is sent via Royal Mail (up to 5 days depending on address), so take care @cstuart.

Message 3 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149952 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions

@cstuart 

If the message came from a mobile number, claiming to be from O2, it is a scam

There's also no reason for a new sim to be required, so again, smells of a scam.

I'd block number, delete and ignore.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 9

sdb1
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Not a scam, surely. See the O2 page about this https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/2g-sim-swap where they say that a text is going to be sent.

Message 5 of 9

sdb1
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @pgn 

My mother got the text on Friday.

If she goes to the O2 store, will they be able to do the SIM swap on the spot, i.e. will she be able to walk out of the store with a working phone, new SIM, and existing number?

On reading the O2 web page, my worry was that she might have to go through the somewhat unfriendly SIM swap procedure to retain her old phone number. The FAQ on the web page doesn't mention keeping the old number at all. (Perhaps they thought it went without saying that the old number would be retained.)

Message 6 of 9

Oxonian
Level 35: Originator
  • 9676 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

It might or might not be connected to that page @sdb1, but we actually do not know. 

@cstuart needs to be wary of scams, and that is why he has been advised to check with O2. I would personally suggest messaging O2 on social media so as to get certainty as to whether the text is authentic or not :-

Facebook : https://o2uk.co/O2CFB

X (previously known as Twitter) : https://o2uk.co/O2CTW

Instagram : https://o2uk.co/O2CIG

The social media team are based in the UK and have a good reputation for solving problems. 👍

Message 7 of 9

pgn
  • 38800 Posts
  • 243 Topics
  • 1743 Solutions

@sdb1 wrote:

Thanks @pgn 

My mother got the text on Friday.

If she goes to the O2 store, will they be able to do the SIM swap on the spot, i.e. will she be able to walk out of the store with a working phone, new SIM, and existing number?

On reading the O2 web page, my worry was that she might have to go through the somewhat unfriendly SIM swap procedure to retain her old phone number. The FAQ on the web page doesn't mention keeping the old number at all. (Perhaps they thought it went without saying that the old number would be retained.)

Provided she takes the phone, SIM card and valid photo id (usually a passport or driving licence photo card), it will be done while she waits. She should also check phone can make and receive calls after the process has been completed by store staff, @sdb1

Message 8 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149952 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions

@sdb1 wrote:

Not a scam, surely. See the O2 page about this https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/2g-sim-swap where they say that a text is going to be sent.

and you don't think scammers are aware of this too?

All I'm saying is check with O2.

Don't click any links in texts or emails and if the text is from a mobile number, it is definitely a scam.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 9 of 9