Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading my contract

XLM462
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I'm going to upgrade my SIM only contract and get a new device, but I will need my current device with my current SIM to function until the new device arrives. How long will it take for my current SIM to be deactivated once I have ordered the upgrade?

Message 1 of 2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38870 Posts
  • 243 Topics
  • 1743 Solutions

@XLM462

If the phone contract is ordered as an Upgrade, you may find you receive the phone, via courier, and just have to pop the SIM from the old phone into the new one, no loss of service at all. But if your SIM is an old one, or of a different size, you may need a new 5G-capable SIM to benefit of 5G in your new handset, if you live in a 5G area... and as O2 have taken to deactivating the old SIM upon dispatch of a new SIM, then you may lose service - in which case you may be better going into an O2 shop and doing the upgrade there, @XLM462.

You will need photo id and possibly a recent utility bill with your correct address on it. Good luck!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38870 Posts
  • 243 Topics
  • 1743 Solutions

@XLM462

If the phone contract is ordered as an Upgrade, you may find you receive the phone, via courier, and just have to pop the SIM from the old phone into the new one, no loss of service at all. But if your SIM is an old one, or of a different size, you may need a new 5G-capable SIM to benefit of 5G in your new handset, if you live in a 5G area... and as O2 have taken to deactivating the old SIM upon dispatch of a new SIM, then you may lose service - in which case you may be better going into an O2 shop and doing the upgrade there, @XLM462.

You will need photo id and possibly a recent utility bill with your correct address on it. Good luck!

Message 2 of 2