Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG Classic

StupidQuestion
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had a classic 1-2-3 PAYG for about 3 years, in that time I've only used around £12-£13 credit.  I have recently heard of someone being cut off for not topping up within 6 months, and am getting a bit twitchy about possibly losing my number. Can anyone confirm if making occasional calls is still enough to keep my sim active?  Or will my next topup somehow trigger this "new" t&c of having to top up every 6 months?

(I last topped up sometime in 2020, and my phone is still working so far!)

TIA

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149945 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions

Probably a good idea to put £10 on now then @StupidQuestion 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 11 of 28

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 8108 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1663 Solutions

You might get away without topping up but it is a risk. It looks like they review things now and again and they are looking to get rid of classic PAYG.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 12 of 28

StupidQuestion
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've had a look back, the sim was originally activated/topped up in summer 2020, don't know the exact date but definitely more than 999 days ago, then got a £5 bonus credit for signing up and a 50p reward in late September which I think squeaks in *just* under.  I'm guessing maybe one (or both) of these must have counted to reset the clock.

And yes, I have topped up now - I only mention this as a matter of interest, and to say thanks again for the information.  Reminder set to top up again in 2026 😂

Message 13 of 28

johnpayg
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I read your guide, which states to call a number (0344 809 0202) if you lose your PAYG sim. I was wondering what is required to get a replacement, as there is no way to add an address on My O2 account.

Message 14 of 28

MI5
  • 149945 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions

@johnpayg 

If you've registered for a MyO2 account https://mymobile.o2.co.uk/ you would have been asked to enter an address at the time, however, this cannot be changed in the app.

When you call O2 to report the loss, they will confirm the delivery address with you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 15 of 28

johnpayg
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the quick reply. I have the same SIM as the op and initially registered via the website followed by the app. It asks for an email address and a phone number, but no address. Hence, my query on what information do they require for verification of a replacement.

Message 16 of 28

MI5
  • 149945 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions

@johnpayg 

They will ask you security questions related to your usage, such as when was the last top up, how much for and how did you top up. Also may ask for your most called number or what the last number you called was. All just to prove that it is your sim and you're not trying to take over someone else's.

Message 17 of 28

Granddaughter90
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

How did you get a sim like that? That's what I need.iv just put a sim in,topped up £10 and it put me on big bundle but I don't want that just top up and use what I want when I want,well I say me it's fir my grandad so he has a life line when going to the shop without me

Message 18 of 28

MI5
  • 149945 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions

It's a legacy tariff @Granddaughter90 

No longer available to new customers but still allowed if you had one previously.

Message 19 of 28

StupidQuestion
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As MI5 says, the tariff I'm on is no longer available.  If it's any help, I believe Asda mobile still do an old-style PAYG, although the call rates aren't as cheap but if it's only for very occasional use that probably doesn't matter too much.

Message 20 of 28