Upcoming Samsung Event - 17 January at 6pm

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 799 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 28 Solutions

Hey all 

Do we have many Samsung fans on the Community? If you're answering YES, then you've come to the right place 😎

As you may or may not know Samsung are hosting an event this Wednesday, 17 January at 6PM, so make sure you don't miss out ‼️

Are you excited for Galaxy AI? What developments do you think we'll see?

If you're interested in the latest news within the Samsung product portfolio register here to watch the live stream 🍿

I'll be back with more information if/when we have this to share after the event 😁

iPhone 16 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94349 Posts
  • 611 Topics
  • 7033 Solutions

Many Samsung fans on here. Well, I know of three...😂

I'm interested to see just what they announce, apart from the s24 of course

I'm waiting for the next generation of the A series as they are more within my budget. I always buy the phone outright and go for sim only deals just after April each year, hate the annual APR rise so always make sure that it never factors into my tariff.

From memory though I think the A series are announced sometime mid-year?

Message 2 of 7

Oxonian
Level 35: Originator
  • 9651 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

The bit that really interests me @Dave-O2 is the information that you will be sharing after the event. I guess that refers to discounts and free accessories ?

I have already registered with Samsung for the event. 👍

Message 3 of 7

Oxonian
  • 9651 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

@jonsie 

Wikipedia suggests that the A54 5G was released on 24 March 2023, which fits with my purchase in mid-April. I didn't buy straight away, but that was soon enough to secure an "early bird" discount. With a generous trade-in too, I got the 256Gb version for a really good price. 

With the improvements from say the S23 to S24 being marginal, I wonder how many folks waste money upgrading when there is no need to do so ? And who really uses all of the features of the handset that they already own ? 

This article, which was published two days' ago, seems to suggest that the optimum time to upgrade for many is after four years or so :-

Your Android Device Is Too Old to Receive Updates, Now What? (howtogeek.com)

https://www.howtogeek.com/your-android-device-is-too-old-to-receive-updates-now-what/

Message 4 of 7

jonsie
  • 94349 Posts
  • 611 Topics
  • 7033 Solutions

So I'll be looking to get a new phone when they arrive end of March

Just in time to change tariff at USwitch

Incidentally BT have officially announced that they won't be using the now accepted annual price increases using the inflation rate + x% and which Ofcom has threatened to ban. Not sure if EE is included in this

Expect other networks to announce the same soon

BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy - BBC News

Message 5 of 7

Oxonian
  • 9651 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

The other handset to keep an eye on @jonsie is the Galaxy S23 FE, which was released in early December 2023. 

It is currently £599 for the 128Gb version and £649 for the 256gb version ; but with £100 discount if you buy direct from Samsung and the possibility of a further reduction for trading in your current device. 

Now if the launch of the S24 leads to further discounting of the S23 FE, the latter could become a very attractive purchase.    

Message 6 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 126370 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

I now have the Samsung S21. This was handed down to me when the grandson had the S23 for Christmas.

Both on O2 Sim Only. (Sim only tariffs chosen when O2 had a sale on)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 7