cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data

Anonymous
Not applicable
Going abroad driving and I want to use google maps through the phone, will I be charged for this and if so how much?
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 24071 Posts
  • 1049 Topics
  • 3778 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Going abroad driving and I want to use google maps through the phone, will I be charged for this and if so how much?

You need data turned on to use Google Maps. There is an app called NavFree (which, funnily enough, is free). You can download individual country maps to your phone, and all you need is a GPS signal. No data used. You get spoken turn by turn navigation. I've only used it in the UK so far, but it works fairly well.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 3g

Where are you going to ?

Some apps allow you to pre download maps before you go ?

Using data while abroad can be expensive.

If you perform a search on the forum you will come across lots of tips on how not to rack up roaming bills.

One top tip is to turn off your 02 Voicemail by dialling 1760.

02 travel Info :

http://www.o2.co.uk/international/o2-travel

Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

You would be better off buying a proper Sat Nav, you can't use your phone while you're driving.

Message 3 of 8

Bambino
  • 24071 Posts
  • 1049 Topics
  • 3778 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

You need data turned on to use Google Maps. There is an app called NavFree (which, funnily enough, is free). You can download individual country maps to your phone, and all you need is a GPS signal. No data used. You get spoken turn by turn navigation. I've only used it in the UK so far, but it works fairly well.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 8

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

You would be better off buying a proper Sat Nav, you can't use your phone while you're driving.

I've used my phone as a SatNav going back to the introduction of GPS on phones with the XDA Orbit. All it takes is the satnav app.

@OP  Data use can work out very expensive abroad, especially outside the EU. I would check out the quality of maps for the country you are visiting for all the offline satnav programs. If the free ones are OK go with those, if not CoPilot is generally cheaper than TomTom.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 5 of 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Not true that, as long as it's properly mounted in the vehicle.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Using Google maps will use data and o2 charge £1.99 per day for 15mb of data.

I recently went to France and downloaded a 'free to use' sat nav app but it didn't work well at all so I reverted back to my cheap and cheerful euro map loaded sat nav which if I'm honest, is probably your best bet.
Message 7 of 8

Bambino
  • 24071 Posts
  • 1049 Topics
  • 3778 Solutions

Here are links to two free apps that use GPS only, and no data. I've used NavFree in the UK for some time now, and plan on using it for a US trip soon. Can't vouch for MapFactor, but they both use Open Street Maps and both will save maps to your SD card.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Navmii&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator&hl=en

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 8